Located at 5th & Ferry Streets, the Nicholas House is one of the few buildings in Easton remaining from the Federal Period. This house is notable because it has always been the home of a working class family. Jacob Nicholas, for whom the building was named, was himself a wood turner and later became the owner/captain of a Durham boat.
This colonial-style "bank" house was built in 1807 and still retains the original 200-year-old brick entry walk. The walk-in fireplace in the kitchen includes a beehive oven for baking. The second-floor furnishings date from the 1830s and much of the interior woodwork is original.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in November, 1976 and is owned by the City of Easton, remaining under the care of NCHGS.
The Jacob Nicholas House is open for tours on special event dates and by appointment for school or group tours. Contact 610-253-1222 for information.
458 Ferry St. (By appointment)