For more than 100 years, members of the Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society have preserved the past, served the present, and shaped the future of Northampton County through research, producing papers and books, and growing and maintaining exceptional collections in old and new places. We tell the story of American history made in Northampton County.
Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society Museums
The Society’s new flagship facility and its headquarters. Enjoy this new place where we tell the old stories of American History made in Northampton County.
Contains the last remaining Northampton County colonial era court room. It is also the host facility for the Lenape Nation of PA’s Cultural Center, which is open on Saturdays.
In 1929, a gala was held to open the new Society headquarters at 4th and Ferry Streets. The building was donated by Miss Mary Mixsell and Mrs. Emilie Mixsell Lalor, granddaughters of Jacob Mixsell, who built the house in 1833. The Mixsell House served as the Society’s headquarters for over 80 years.
Named for its first resident, who lived there from 1807 until 1832. The family had eight children. Nicholas was a wood turner when he purchased the property, but later became a Durham boat captain. Durham boats carried freight between Easton and Philadelphia on the Delaware River. They were put out of business in the 1830′s by the new canals. The house was occupied until 1961. Over the years tenants included an agricultural tool maker, shoemaker, undertaker, junk dealer, huckster, sign painter, policeman, an immigrant laborer from England, and a laborer for President Roosevelt’s Work Projects Administration.All located in the county seat of Easton, PA